With the recent news of the tragic deaths of 7 people in various New York City hotels & hospitals, Disney-McLane would like to help bring more awareness to the threat of Legionnaires’ disease from unreliable plumbing and HVAC systems.
“Legionnaires’ disease is a respiratory bacterial infection usually spread through mist that comes from a water source, such as cooling towers, air conditioning or showers. It is not transmitted person to person. Symptoms of the disease include fever, chills and a cough.” – David Shortell
The Centers of Disease Control estimates that 8,000 – 18,000 people are hospitalized with Legionnaires disease in the US each year.
Legionella bacteria (which causes the disease) can be found in commercial plumbing and HVAC water piping systems. With proper water heating and regulation however, the bacteria can be destroyed before it reaches the public and Legionnaires’ disease can be prevented.
Water plays an essential role in all our lives, but unmonitored and untempered, water can pose serious risks. According to the CDC, proper maintenance of water distribution systems is key to preventing illness from water-borne bacteria such as Legionella. Managers of commercial and institutional facilities know that selecting and controlling proper water temperature in their storage and delivery systems plays an important part in any maintenance program.
Heating water to a minimum of 140°F is essential to killing the bacteria, but this also poses the risk of scalding. Proper water tempering and monitoring will prevent this but it is a delicate balancing act. Property managers need to trust the equipment they’re using will heat the buildings’ water hot enough to kill off Legionella bacteria, and temper it back down to avoid burning and scalding their occupants.
Their equipment must be reliable, and as fail proof as possible.
Disney-McLane would like to help you choose equipment you can trust to heat your commercial buildings’ water hot enough to kill any threat of the bacteria, and equipment to monitor and temper the water to comfortable temperatures.
– PVI Conquest –
- Up to 97% thermal efficiency at full fire from 40°F to 140°F
- < 20 ppm NOx, SCAQMD listed
- Equipped for direct combustion air connection
- Vents through PVC or Polypropylene
- 15-year warranty for tank and exchanger
- ASME stamped for 150 psi maximum allowable working pressure
- AquaPLEX tank (unlined duplex alloy)
- AquaPLEX 100% submerged combustion chamber and single-pass fire tubes
- Pre-mix surface burner with proportional gas/air control
- UL and FM compliant gas train
- Programmable electronic operating control with digital temperature display embedded with Modbus RTU protocol
- Electronic ignition control with pre-purge
- Manual-reset high limit control
- Electronic low-water cutoff
- Audible and visual alarm on any failure with contacts for remote notification
- Relay and proving contact for air louvers
Water Tempering & Monitoring
- High-speed actuator provides temperature stabilization within +/- 2°F in accordance with ASSE 1017. Actuator is located outside of mixing valve where it is not affected by potential water leakage from valve. Shuts down hot water in the event of power failure or cold water failure.
- Internal capacitor initiates valve position to full cold upon power loss. IntelliStation is not reliant on batteries for valve activation upon power loss.
- Smart controller with 3.5″ full color touchscreen interface for ease of use and clarity of critical data, NEMA 3 enclosure, high temperature alarm.
- Temperature and pressure sensors on hot/cold water inlet supplies, mixed water outlet, and tempered water return.
- Integrated recirculation pump (engineer specified) operated by the control module based on preset return temperature offset.
- Lead Free* listed to NSF 372
- Optional energy efficiency package monitors GPM and BTUs
- ASSE 1017 certified, cUPC listed, UL listed, BACnet Testing Laboratory (BTL) listed
Please give us a call today and let us help you protect your water supply and occupants.